Thursday, May 24, 2007

I dared to hope

The European Cup Final, a time for the feast of football served up by the two best teams in Europe. I had dared hope this time that Liverpool might actually win it, all the pundits thought they would (that usually means alarm bells should have started ringing right there!), and the team is better than the one that beat Milan two years ago. I arrived at Campus (the bar near uni with sports tv channels) and the match was already four minutes old, having pretty much run from the bus stop, I did the best I could! I managed to find a stool at the bar, which was practical, because although that bar is normally waiter service, they were so packed that this was mighty convenient.

First ten minutes consisted mainly of Liverpool having the ball, but few chances. Milan then had a spell, but nothing came of that either Reina saving the one chance, and dealing with all crosses. The pendulum swung back Liverpool's way, and there were a couple of chances, Gerrard mis-kicking, and Alonso shooting wide from outside the area. As the half drew to a close you could argue Liverpool had had the better of it, even if quality had largely been absent from both sides, feast of football it certainly wasn't. But just before half-time Alonso, stupidly fouls a Milan player on the edge of the area (although having seen TV replays I am not convinced). Pirlo took the free-kick, and to my horror, Inzaghi got in behind the Liverpool wall and a wrong-footed Reina could do nothing to stop the shot. 1-0, 6th European Cup? You can forget it. I hit the bar, and rest my head in my hands.

Second half Liverpool never really got going. I banged my fist at every missed opportunity or Milan chance. Benitez brought on Kewell for defensive midfielder Mascheroni, and then suddenly Kaka has the space to slip Inzaghi in for number two. 2-0 down 12 minutes left, no way back. Liverpool bring on Crouch (barn door, horse, bolted), and the match winds down to its inevitable conclusion. I'm pissed off, the guys next to me had already told me nicely to chill, and then after 2-0 got me an extra free shot that was going round. Corner for Liverpool header on by Crouch header in by Kuyt, 2-1, stoppage time remaining. Liverpool never made another chance, and lost. Though if we're honest the game hinged on the moment where Gerrard missed that easy chance in the middle of the first half to equalise, had that gone in, Liverpool would have won.

I walked it home, no point waiting around in a bar full of Milan fans for the bus. I was angry, and a little upset. Strange that a game that in some ways is so inconsequential can bring out so much passion in me. I have not seen many Liverpool games this season, unless they're European it requires going to an Irish pub, so I haven't bothered much. But I still seem to be bothered about it. I know there are more important things in life, and yes I shouldn't get too bothered about a "stupid" game (looking at you Becky), but hey I'm a footy fan. What can I say! And its not like I don't get bothered about important stuff, anyone who sees me involved in political activist shiznit will know that! Ah well, another footy season over....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home