Thursday, November 16, 2006

Mentally Environmental?

Going to the Dresden Uni student environment group meeting straight from the staff meeting at school today smacks a bit of over-the-topness. It was just three of us talking about the organic food campaign, but I while I am happy to be part of the group, and to do stuff, I am not as over-joyously enthusiastic as I was at People and Planet in Brum. Now why is this? Well the Brum lot are more radical and campaign over a wider range of issues than the group in Dresden, which is very much strictly environment stuff. There's also the fact I have good friends at P&P in brum, and there's a je ne sais quoi about P&P in general, that just can't be explained.

I met a fellow P&Per from another British uni who's also working as an assistant in the area, look on our faces when we realised we were both P&Pers was weird, but but P&P meant something to both of us. I don't know exactly what. But it's that something that I think is part of the reason I have tried to join green groups here, yet it can't be replicated, P&P is P&P. Having said that it's early days yet, and the green lot here are really nice too, but sometimes I occasionally wonder if I am doing things just for the sake of them....

Case in point, last week as I booked my trip home, me and this fellow P&Per booked our journey home by train, more expensive and more time-consuming, we're mental doing it. Also considering we're doing something by train that was so weird and outlandish, it needed to cut down a small rainforest's worth of paper to produce all our tickets, a plane ticket would have been a lot less paper, when you're more environmental one way, you're less the other. And I mean after all what's two bums on an aeroplane that's already flying anyway. But it's the principle of the matter, it makes little practical difference perhaps, that plane will still fly , with or without me, as will he train. But we're making a statement, saying no we wont support airport expansion and cheap flights just for our convenience. And in the long term it may make a small practical difference, fewer people fly, fewer new airports or runways, fewer new flights and fewer emissions.

I don't think I am doing it for the sake of it, I just occasionally have my doubts, but that's good right? Natural? If I did everything unquestioningly like an robot, then there'd be cause for concern, the fact I keep questioning myself in a lot of my beliefs can only be a good thing It means I have new ideas and really actually believe in what I am doing/saying, because I properly mull it over.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home